Wednesday 17 October 2012

"DAVIDO IS OVER HYPED" – K-SOLO

He has been in the industry for over 15years, he is also the man behind so many hits.He produced Egberipapa 1 himself,Timaya’s first three albums,he has worked with innumerable artistes, producing hit after hit after hit. Though he tries to shy away from the public,he still finds his way into the news like he did very recently when news filtered into the press about personal issues between him and his wife. He is K-Solo

Well that is not why we are here!, yours truely accompanied by KAYCEE(of itzkaycee.blogspot.com) met with this icon of some sorts and had a brief chat on a range of issues: from his life to his wife to timaya and it turns out that this man is actually a cool guy. I don dey talk too much abi? Oya enjoy the interview………

I.R BABOON – What are your real names???
K-Solo – My name is Solomon Oyeniyi

I.R BABOON – You seem to shy away from the public but we would like to know the kind of person you are
K-SOLO – (laughs…) I’m a street boy,an every day young man. I’m just like everybody else. I wake up early,sleep late. The only diffrence is the name . I’m just an everyday street boy

I.R BABOON – You only recently released an album ”Mr. Pedigree”. How has the reception been so far?
K-SOLO – The reception has been very overwhelming,but what you dont know is that MR PEDIGREE album has been recorded over four years ago. I just dropped the album because I want my fans to have something to listen to. I’m actually working on a new album which will be released pretty soon

I.R BABOON – You recently released two very commercial singles ”LOBATAN & HIP HOP HURRAY” and they are currently enjoying radio play, are we expecting anything new from you soon?
K-SOLO – Yeah! I’m planning on shooting the video for HIP HOP HURRAY anytime from now. I won’t shoot the video for LOBATAN because it had some issues with it especially clearing the CITY PEOPLE thing. Seye Kehinde is my friend,so its not a song to be shot per se. Its just to clear the air. Hip hop hurray is the video I’m actually shooting.

I.R BABOON – There have been many stories in the press lately concerning you and your wife,we would like to know exactly what happened from the horses mouth and what the present situation is
K-SOLO – I would not like to talk about this matter. Because one,its a personal thing and like i told some people some time back this thing is like smoke,no matter how much you cover up the fire, it will still smell. It cannot be covered up. It will make no advantage if i begin to tell you the ups and downs,but soon we will all know the real truth. You can imagine me beating a woman in a place like here (SHOPRITE IKEJA), not just a woman,a wife. And like it is on the street,no agbero will ever use coke bottle because e no go break (laughs). So like I said we should keep our fingers crossed and we’ll know whats what in due time

I.R BABOON – Do you own a record label or are you under one?
K-SOLO – I own a record label,but I won’t call it a record label per se because we barely have record labels in Nigeria,thats the truth. I call us music promoters or sponsors because when I have a record label I’m supposed to buy the artiste a good car,an apartment and put him on a salary. The artiste should choose who he wants to work with and not because MR A is in vogue you work with MR A. So we don’t do that as much and thats why artistes and thier labels end up having problems in less than a year. But I own what I call a music clique ”K-SOLO INC.” Its just an avenue to help upstarts.

I.R BABOON – No interview will be complete without bringing up the TIMAYA issue, whats up with that and whats the currenr situation?
K-SOLO – Timaya is a brother,son and friend to me. There’s so much love between the both of us. If gayism was allowed in Nigeria,we would have probably played one (laughs). But like the saying goes, everything that has a beginning must have an end. A lot of people just read meanings into things. If Timaya buys a house today and invites me,I will go,I will eat and drink even to stupor. But the thing is we don’t work together anymore. We are not enemies. I still tweet his new songs,send his number when he’s needed for shows and we meet regularly at events and social gatherings . We should be able to differentiate between personal and business issues. Even the person producing for him presently,Yung D is still my one of my sons. We have a good personal relationship,the working relationship might not be there presently but we might wake up one day and work on a hit,nobody knows

I.R BABOON – How do you spend your normal day?
K-SOLO – I’m always in my studio,if not I’m in my bedroom or playing my Play Station,eating or sleeping,I’m not a club person. Every creative person should have some time to himself.

I.R BABOON – Where do you see K-Solo in the next 5years?
K-SOLO – You know we are human beigns we all have plans, I just leave the rest for God so as a street boy we dey always prepare for anything at anytime.

I.R BABOON – Which artiste currently rocking the airwaves do you think isn’t worth the hype?
K-SOLO – AH! DAVIDO. Davido isn’t worth the hype at all. He isn’t worth the hype at all. I’m a music critic and I enjoy people critizing me. The hype is too much for Davido. People like this make the industry interesting,people who can throw the money around at least producers like us can eat well. But the hype is too much. I tell people if your brand is good,you don’t need to make so much noise about it,it will speak for itself. The hype is massive,people are not loving Davido because of his music basically,but because of the hype,the fame,the money as OMO BABA OLOWO. Let them love him the way they did to Timaya who came from the street. The way they loved Wizkid,Tuface and co. because of their talent. I love Davido,he’s a cool guy,i like his Swag. But people are seeing the endorsements,the new cars and stuff like that,not really loving him for who he is,for being Davido,the artiste.

I.R BABOON – How do you cope with female fans?
K-SOLO – (LAUGHS HEARTILY) We love them,we love them all,at least I’ve been around for a decade and half so dealing with them shouldn’t be an issue at this stage. They sleep and wake up with me,we meet at sharp corners,in the closet,in public,everywhere. We mingle with ourselves but we know how we run our packages,without scandals.

I.R BABOON – Any advice for upcoming artistes
K-SOLO – First things first,make sure you are called,don’t do it because your guys are doing it. Because Solomon dey knack table that year for secondary school and na you dey freestyle,you come hear say Solomon of that year na K-Solo of today,u wan run enter studio,Omo,you go waste money tire. Entertainment is one of the riskiest business on earth. So you have to be called to do the business if not its better you carry your money go open shop,begin sell garri. And most importantly pray to God because He knows all,He will make you know if entertainment is the way forward for you

I.R BABOON – Did you see yourself making it this big when you initially started out?
K-SOLO – Lai Lai!!! Lai Lai!!! I never did o! I was a one man band then,playing at different places like white house,Kindles when they existed in allen,Sheraton and co. I played friday,Saturday and Sunday using it to school myself. Not like my parents were poor but they wanted me to go to school alone,I wanted to combine both because I had drive and passion but I never knew I would be this big. If I tell you I know,na lie I dey tell you

KAYCEE(of www.itzkaycee.blogspot.com)  – Who makes a song a hit? The artiste or the producer?
K-SOLO- It takes both of them,it takes a good marriage between both of them to make the song a hit. 40% from the artiste and 60% from the producer

I.R BABOON – Asides music,what else do you?
K-SOLO – Well apart from music, I’ve been managing my dad’s business since he passed on. Plus I’ll be launching my clothing line real soon.

I.R BABOON – Word for your fans
K-SOLO – Fans ke? fans ke?? fans ke??? Omo I no get fans! I gat friends. Until I become famous like Akon from Senegal who’s known globally,I don’t have fans. As far as we get stuck in the same traffic,we queue in the same bank or shopping mall,I no get fans. Do you know what they call fans??? They don’t see u now. they only hear about you or see you in shows or Television. So no fans

I.R BABOON – Oya words for your friends
K-SOLO – Make we dey rock dey go. Na so e dey go. I owe everything to you guys.

I.R BABOON – On a final note, the motto for www.musictatafo.com is ”you heard it here first”,and in following in that tradition ,you are supposed to tell us something that is hitting the media for the very first time
K-SOLO – HAAAA! TATAFO!!! Well errm lets see lets see… My wife would be putting to bed soon
(laughs)

I.R BABOON – Thank you for your time boss
K-SOLO – LOBATAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ff K-SOLO @OBAKSOLO
ff KAYCEE @itzkaycee
ff I.R BABOON @itzzrandom

– Culled from  MusicTatafo with support from ItzKaycee'sBlogspot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.