Sunday 21 October 2012

MUST READ -- SHORT LOVE STORY

It was approximately 8.30 a.m. on a busy morning
when an elderly gentleman in his seventies
arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He
stated that he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9.00a.m.
I took his vital signs and had him take a seat. I knew it
would take more than an hour before someone would 
be able to attend to him. I saw him check his watch

anxously for the time and decided to evaluate his
wound since I was not busy with another patient.
On examination, the wound was well healed.
Hence, I talked to one of the doctors to get the supplies to
remove his sutures and redress his wound.
We began to engage in a conversation while I
was taking care of his wound. I asked him if he had
another doctor’s appointment later as he was in such a hurry.
The gentleman told me no and said that he needed to
go to the nursing home to have breakfast with his wife.
I inquired about her health. He told me that
she had been in the nursing home for a while as she
was a victim of Alzheimer’s disease.

I probed further and asked if she would be upset if he was slightly
late. He replied that she no longer knew who he was and she
had not been able to recognize him since five years ago.
I asked him in surprise, “And you still go every
morning, even though she doesn’t know who you are?”
He smiled as he patted my hand and said, “She doesn’t
know me, but I still know who she is.”

I had to hold back my tears as he left.
I had goose bumps on my arm, and I thought,
“That this is the kind of love I want in my life.”
True love is neither physical nor romantic. True love is
an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be…


Share if this is the kind of love you wish for!!

NAIJAPLAYGROUND.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.